Re: Bucking TR6 and high idle temp.

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bucking TR6 and high idle temp.
From: TR66pack@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 14:45:15 EDT
My TR6 was bucking just before I put it away last fall. Driving down the
road, everything's fine, and all of sudden i swore the car was going to come
apart it bucked so bad. Pull over, pop the hood, wiggle this, inspect that,
adjust the carbs quick, drop the hood and try to continue. The car still
bucks, for another 1/4 mile, then smooths out and runs fine. A few mile
later, at 55 mph, it starts again. The car would run so poor that just
getting up to 20 mph was a challenge.

This spring, first thing I did was replace the spark plug wires. No more
trouble - not even a hint. That also eliminated the high rpm loss of power
and back-firing after shiut-down problems.

Moral: Think simple. Keep it tuned. I've yet to experience a really
complicated problem with a TR6 even when it could have easily gone that way.

While I'm replying...
 my car came with every bolt-on cooling accessory you can imagine, as well as
a TRf rebuilt engine and cylinder head. For two seasons I put up with low oil
pressure at idle, and zooming temps at idle. Solution? Again, very simple. A
valve adjustment uncovered the little oil plug in the rocker shaft was
completely out of the shaft and sitting atop a valve. I locktited it in
place. No more overheating, no more low oil pressure, and the electric fan
and behind-the-radiator shrouding are gone - not needed. They were
previous-owner bandaides that at best masked the symptoms but did nothing to
correct the problem.

Think simple and enjoy...

Kerry Fores
(Direct replies to kerry@riveting-images.com)