Fan Shroud

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net '" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan Shroud
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:06:28 -0500

J. Garruba wrote:

>In my experience the fan shroud will
>make the most noticeable difference
>while idling with the vehicle stopped.

I agree - at idle, the shroud ensures that outside (cool) air is being
pulled through the radiator when the fan turning relatively slowly and no
airflow is being generated by car speed.

I'm wondering, however, how necessary the fan shroud is when the stock fan
is removed and an electric fan installed, as I've done on my TR6 vintage
racecar. I've not re-installed the shroud on my car and have had no
overheating problems to date, although I've yet to test it on a 90+ degree
day.

At speed, so much air is being forced through the grille opening that the
shroud may be unnecessary. At idle, the electric fan turns just as fast as
it does at speed.

Thoughts? If not necessary for cooling with an electric fan installed, does
the shroud serve any other purpose?

Jim Hill
Madison WI