Sleeving of brake and clutch cylinders.

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Sleeving of brake and clutch cylinders.
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:30:00 +1200
Hi Kendall,

Sleeving the brake and clutch cylinders is becomming quite common here in
NZ as it is far cheaper than purchasing a new unit. Our guys tend to use a
stainless steel sleeve as they get much better results than brass or bronze
(I think someone told me that brass/bronze is porus whereas SS isn't).
Typically it costs us around $140 NZ (or around $70 US). Almost any
competant brake or machine shop should be able to do it for you. If done
properly, this results in a very good repair which some argue is better
than new.

A mate of mine has had his 1969 Merc done recently with amazing results
(i.e. the brakes actually work now which is a good thing on a 2 ton car!!).

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers
Bernard