TR-6 Carbs

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-6 Carbs
From: "Peter Conover" <pconover@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:07:59 -0500
This is my first posting, so forgive me in advance if I say something dumb,
or if this subject has been dealt with before.

Ever since the middle of last summer, I've had to keep my choke pulled (just
over halfway) out to keep my car running smooth.  Why?

This winter, while putting in an new manifold gasket, I rebuilt the carbs
(again, I had rebuilt them first in '96 when I first got the car).  I used
major Z-S rebuild kit that I got from Moss:  (non adjustable) jets, shafts,
shaft seals, diaphrams and all gaskets.  Of course, all the settings were
now out of whack, but basically the car stills does the same thing.

Here's a wrinkle:  The only thing outside of the carbs that I could think of
that might have changed last summer was my rebuilt fuel pump.  So yesterday,
I put my aftermarket fuel pump back on.  The car ran great, but gas was
flowing out of the carbs (not a good thing!).  I readjusted the float
levels.  The gas is not flowing out anymore, but the car is back to not
running unless I pull the choke on.

I've messed around with most of the other adjustments, and nothing seems to
change too much.  The exhaust pipe and plugs look like the car is running
rich, but the engine is acting like it's too lean.  The idle is rough too.

I'm stumped.

Peter Conover
'74 TR-6 18557
Oak Park, IL