Fwd: Engine Smokes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Engine Smokes
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:51:50 -0500
TR6's aren't fitted with valve stem seals, at least not originally.  If
your car has valve stem seals, then replace them and that might do the
trick for a little while, but the fact is that you really should replace
the valve guides themselves.  Wear in the guides is what allows oil to drip
down into the combustion chambers, replacing valve stem seals would  only
be a band-aid.  If you don't have valve stem seals (which you probably
don't), then have some installed when you have the valve guides replaced.
I have them on my car, and my oil consumption is pretty much zero.  The
only oil I lose is through little leaks.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6