Re: FW: Gear selecion

To: Ian Williams <iwilliams@rycote.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: FW: Gear selecion
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:46:45 -0500
Ian,
        Welcome to the club! The problem you describe is fairly common and has
many potential causes. It may be one or two or the cumulative effects of
many. First check the rods that attach to the clutch pedal shaft under
dash and from the slave cylinder to the clutch operating shaft. These
rods wear, as do the pins that fit through them. Replace them if they
show evidence of ovaling out. This would be the easy fix. Fluid may be
finding its way past the seals in the clutch master or slave cylinders,
but usually they begin to leak when worn so the problem is obvious.
        If you replace the rods and pins and this doesn't allow the clutch to
fully disengage, the problem may be a cracked or broken taper pin that
secures the clutch operating fork to the clutch operating shaft. Should
this be your problem, you must remove the transmission and replace the
pin. If you must resort to removing the transmission, I would strongly
suggest you replace the operating shaft and bushings as well as the fork
and replace the pin with an upgraded hardened one.
        Is your car a PI model? It is my understanding that the last year for
home market TR6s was '94.
Good luck on finding your way to smooth shifting,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U