2000-register

Overhauling a manual gearbox

To: 2000-Register@autox.team.net, 2000-register@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Overhauling a manual gearbox
From: Asgeir Nesoen <asgeir.nesoen@hf.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:58:18 +0200
Yep, I have decided to do a rebuild of a gearbox...  And I would like to
know if anyone out there did the same operation and have any advice...

OK, I have a spare gearbox in the basement. I'd like to overhaul and
rebuild this one, and making it ready for an overdrive unit I have in my car.

I *know* I have to renew these parts:
syncro rings
syncro balls and springs
cylinder bearing between input and output shaft
main bearings at either ends
output shaft to accomodate the overdrive unit (J-type) that is to be fitted

I have read about Chris Witors rebored input shaft, where you can use two
in-row cylinder bearings instead of the single one originally fitted. Is
this a good idea? I have heard that the input shaft sustains heavy wear,
and that the double roller cage bearings can rectify this to a great extent....

I am going to change the input and output bearings of the O/D unit as well.

Is it possible to order all the parts I need before starting the strip-down
of the box? Do I need any shims or over size washers? How about the gear
change mechanism on the top? Do I need to change any parts there as a
matter of fact? Or do I have to dismantle and check for wear?

How about part supplier? Which one should I use? I have used Rimmer
brothers, they have excellent service and prompt posting, but I am a little
more sceptical about the quality of their parts.... I have never got any
faulty part of any kind from Chris Witor, so I was planning to use him to
the greatest extent possible. I am not sure if he has all the parts I need
in stock either...

Any advice is appreciated, surely.

I am going to take a lot of photos during the strip-down, inspection and
rebuild, so that others may benefit from my blunders, hehe.

---Asgeir---

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list
///