2000-register

PI in-take set-up

Subject: PI in-take set-up
From: "Dave W" <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:46:52 +1200
Well, the conversion's full-on now!
I've picked up the throttle body which was off a '94 Ford ED Fairmont not
the EA Falcon I thought it was coming off! I've taken the PI's three inlet
manifolds off and striped them of the butterflies and spindles. I'll give
the ports a polish and then put plugs in the holes the spindles left.
Tomorrow, I'll get a flange made to weld onto the end of the PI's big intake
barrel for the new butterfly body to bolt to, the gasket that will go in
between these two will be ready for me tomorrow as well. I'm going to need
to put jubilee clips on all the big pipes from the intake barrel to
manifolds - not just on the end one's as originally done - because the whole
inlet area will be under the 12hg engine vacuum. It'd leak worse than it
does now!!

I've got a throttle cable off a '78 Mk2 which is just long enough to reach
to the new position, and shouldn't be to difficult to fit.
I'm not sure where the air-cleaner's moving to yet. Getting cold fresh air
and not hot engine bay stuff would be good but the space is very limited.
Has anyone used the Mk1's bonnet scoop to get air in?? It doesn't sound very
nice to cut a slot in under the badge, but it would make for a great way to
get all the clean air you wanted. I could make a thin alloy collection box
to catch the in-coming air then have a pipe take it via the filter into the
throttle body.

All the best
Dave W
NZ