2000-register

Brakes, dodgy parts and treasure.

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes, dodgy parts and treasure.
From: "Sharon Patterson" <sapat@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:59:46 GMT
Never, ever, ever part with any money for subframe bushes that are not made
by Avon rubber.  We bought a cheaper pair from rimmer bros for £49 and 14
months later that were useless and worse than the ones that had been on the
car for 21 years.  Avon rubber ones are very expensive but wasting £50 is
not nice neither!  I've found the same for engine mounts and gearbox mounts
and my car eats QH water pumps for a living.  I've come to the conclusion
that there is a lot of inferior quality goods out there are you might as
well fit second hand as fit inferior quality.
Regarding brake pads I always fit Lockheed (Are these the same as the Lucas
ones someone mentioned?)They squeaeaeal badly regardless of what we do to
them, brake dust messes up my S wheels too and they last around 15,000
miles.  I think I'm going to try another make.  I've got Mintex on the back
that haven't been replaced for at least the last 70,000 miles.
Regarding treasures, mine would have to be my daily S called Rosie, and my
other treasure would have to be my 2000 MKI, which was registered 10/01/64
with a Coventry plate.  Unfortunately the MKI is a bit of a basket case -
but then if we didn't spend our money on that we would only waste it on
holidays and sensible stuff!
Regards
Sharon Patterson