2000-register

Re: Wheel pullers

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel pullers
From: Mike Sharp <msharp@cynapps.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:52:44 -0800
Cliff Pope, clifford.pope@virgin.net wrote:

> All my car-repairing life I have removed steering wheels simply by
> undoing the nut, grasping the spokes, and tugging hard. I never realised
> there was any problem until I read Mike Sharp's letter.

For what its worth, I'm usually able to remove steerting wheels
by tugging hard too.  There is the occasion when this just doesn't
apply enough force though.

On many steering wheels you can use a special steering wheel puller to
remove the wheel from the splines.  Unfortunately this isn't the case with
the MK1 2000.  As far as I can tell, due to the design of the steering
wheel one has to use a gear puller.  Of course you could get lucky and
be able to just pull the wheel off as well.

For those who don't know, a steering wheel puller is somewhat like a
gear puller, but instead of having arms that reach around the object
to be pulled, it has two or three bolts that thread into the center
hub of the wheel just around where the splines are.  then, of course,
there is a center bolt that applies the actual pressure and removes
the wheel from the splines.  The 2000 steering wheel design doesn't
have the necessary threaded holes to allow the use of a steering
wheel puller.

    --Mike