2000-register

Re: Auto gearbox leaks

To: John Knight <pplac150@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Auto gearbox leaks
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 21:43:00 +0100
Hi again, John,

My mate had the same problem on a Sunbeam Alpine auto. The sump bolts
had been overtightened and had stretched the metal. So we...

1. Removed the sump and carefully dressed the holes flat, using a panel
hammer,  on a piece of square section bar mounted vertically in a vice.

2. Used new screws-5/16" UNC if memory serves.

3. Fitted 5/16"mm id O-rings of about 3/32" diameter, with just a trace
of Wellseal.

4. Tightened as per a head (Union flag pattern) to an equal torque all
round. Can't remember what but it was a low figure.

This worked on that car.

Good luck,

Dave Hill